Next Permabee – 21 April in Epping
Hi garden gang and other permabee enthusiasts, here is the amended plan for our next permabee.
We will be helping Lucinda get her garden up to show quality for International Permaculture Day (which is on Sunday 5 May) and also installing something she has been thinking of for quite some time….
We will start off with a brief tour of Lucinda’s townhouse garden and then divide the labour amongst the tasks. There is plenty to do, with tasks both energetic and light.
It would be great if we could have a volunteer or two to help out in the kitchen, and someone to take some before, after and action shots! I will supply the camera.
There are three main projects:
- 1. Erection of an innovative shade structure to help the Zone 1 plants survive in summer but enable the winter sunlight through.
- 2. Herb spiral. We will be reconstructing the top half of this to better define it. So plants need to be potted, soil shifted, rocks repositioned.
- 3. Compost area. It is time to move things on: mature compost to potting areas and garden beds; new compost heaps started; dry branches mulched up.
There are lots of minor projects:
- 1. Mandala garden edging. This needs to be stabilised and “soil leaks” plugged by adding short stare post to secure the edges.
- 2. Potting: some of the pipe stand and hanging pots need new plants in them
- 3. Pruning: acacias lining the garden need to be cut back and mulched
- 4. Stick patrol: vagrant gum stick, bark etc. to be collected and mulched
- 5. Weeding/ tidying of most Zone 1 & Zone 2 areas
- 6. Arch the mulberry fronds over towards the big rainwater tank
- 7. Prune Zone 2 (food forest) so can see structure
- 8. Refresh the banana circle
- 9. Move the Davidson Plum to a sunnier spot
- 10. General weed of Bushcare areas near garden
As you can see there is plenty to do in a relatively small space so we will need to organise “work gangs” for specific jobs, and I think we would need around fifteen or so people to get things finished.
As always think OH&S, proper work boot, gloves, hats.
Look forward to seeing you all there.